Thursday, December 11, 2014

Volunteer Oppurtunity #2

It's no secret that I am active in my church, so it should come at no surprise that my next volunteer oppurtunity came through my church. I completed this activity on the 16th of November. I arrived at my church at 9:30 and finished at 10:30. This activity is an annual Thanksgiving basket making event that our teen group does. I attended last year, but this time I had no friends come and there was a completely different group of kids, a majority of them I did not know. We started my lining up boxes. After that, we all grabbed an item that was to be put in the box and worked by just taking the bag of our objects and putting one in each box. I was in charge of putting the condensed milk and canned pumpkin in each box. We ended by closing up the boxes and numbering them. At first, I was nervous because I didn't really have anyone to talk to while putting together the boxes, but by the end of the event everyone had loosened up and we were all talking. It was very hectic, as we were in a small room for the size of the event, but we made it work anyway. It was an overall really fun experience and I'm very glad that I decided to attend! It feels good knowing that we fed so many people for Thanksgiving. The fact that such a small group of teens could feed so many people really inspired me to try and volunteer more because I knew that even I could make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment