Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Volunteer Oppurtunity #1


On Saturday the 8th of November I volunteered at my church's (The Lutheran Church of the Holy Spirit) annual holiday boutique. While there, I signed people in, allowing them to receive the newsletter telling them the date for the next years boutique. While I have volunteered at my church for 7 years in a row, this was my first time doing sign in. I experienced many type of people while working at the table. Some were nice and more than willing to simply put their name and email on the sheet of paper. Others were rude or sassy to me, when I was simple working to help them in the future. It was frustrating to experience ungrateful people, but the little old ladies that reminded me of my grandmothers made the experience more than worth it. I worked at the sign in table from 8:30 to 11:30.

After working at the sign in table I quickly moved to our church's kitchen where I was in charge of handing out soup to our vendors. I prepared their plates which contained an assortment of cheeses and crackers. My mom and I then went around handing out the soup to the vendors. Many of them were grateful that they were being fed while still working and for the hot meal on a cold day. Some, however, were rude to my mother and I, which was frustrating as we did not even have to offer them a full meal. I delivered meals from 11:30 to 1:30. Overall, the experience was fun and definately worth dealing with the public. 



No comments:

Post a Comment